The CBG has modern facilities and equipment in molecular biology for performing comprehensive studies regarding the exploration and manipulation of genes from animals, plants, and microorganisms of economic and ecological interest; also, the majority of the faculty are members of the National Researchers System (SNI).
The projects developed in the 8 laboratories that form the research core of the GBC include the following specialty areas:
1. GENOME SEQUENCING
2. GENOTYPING OF SPECIES OF ECONOMIC AND ECOLOGICAL INTEREST
3. MOLECULAR DETECTION OF PATHOGENS
4. GENETIC DIVERSITY AND PHYTOGENETIC RESOURCES
5. PLANT-MICROORGANISM MOLECULAR INTERACTION
6. BIOLOGICAL CONTROL OF AGRICULTURAL PESTS AND DISEASES